Your post-recovery care is critical to the beauty and success of your plastic surgery results. As you prepare for your procedure, take whatever steps you can to ensure a successful recovery. In this blog post, Newport Beach plastic surgeon Dr. Rob Kessler offers several steps you should take, some immediately and others in the days and weeks after your surgery. He also provides a list of necessary items to have ready for your recovery.
Immediately After Surgery
- Have a loved one drive you home after your procedure.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
- Take pain medication as prescribed.
- Eat a light meal (e.g., soup).
- Ice the treated area with bags of frozen vegetables or ice packs.
- Keep your compression garment in place.
- Don’t bend, strain or lift anything heavy (including children).
- Plan on sleeping and resting for the remainder of the day.
- Have a loved one stay with you overnight.
In the Days and Weeks Following Surgery
- Avoid strenuous exercise for the first two weeks after surgery.
- Keep compression garments in place until Dr. Kessler directs you to take them off.
- Continue taking medication as prescribed.
- Keep a log of all your medications.
- Get as much rest as possible.
- Attend all follow-up appointments with Dr. Kessler.
- Contact Dr. Kessler’s office if you experience any unusual pain or notice anything wrong.
Prior to your surgery, take a trip to the store to stock up on the following recovery essentials:
- Ice packs, frozen vegetables
- Heating pad
- Easy-to-prepare meals (e.g., frozen dinners, canned soup and fruit)
- Paper plates, cups and utensils
- Fresh, clean linens and pillows
- Clothes that are easy to put on and take off
- Wet wipes and make-up removal pads
- Books, magazines, DVDs or tablet
- Kessler’s office phone number in case of emergencies or last-minute questions
Get More Tips from Dr. Kessler
Dr. Kessler prides himself on educating his patients with regard to what they should expect before, during and after surgery. He can provide more plastic surgery tips during a personal consultation. To speak to Dr. Kessler, please call his Newport Beach office at (949) 644-6544.