If you are preparing to have breast augmentation, one of the most important decisions you and your surgeon need to make is which type of breast implants to use. Dr. Rob Kessler is a highly sought after plastic surgeon in Newport Beach who specializes in breast augmentation. He offers several types of breast implants, including traditional silicone implants and highly cohesive (“gummy bear”) implants. Here, he compares the two implant types side by side.
What are Silicone Implants?
Silicone implants consist of a silicone outer shell filled with a thick gel. Silicone gel implants are preferred by many patients because they look and feel more like natural breast tissue than saline implants, which are filled with a saltwater solution. Traditional silicone implants are pre-filled. They come in a variety of sizes and are available in round and teardrop shapes. These implants come with the following perks:
- Look and feel like natural breasts
- Less likely to ripple or wrinkle than saline implants
- Generally last longer than saline implants
Silicone implants come with the following disadvantages:
- More expensive than saline implants
- Ruptures and leaks are harder to detect than in saline implants
What are Gummy Bear Implants?
Highly cohesive silicone gel implants are often referred to as “gummy bear” implants due to the gummy-like consistency of the implant filling material. Thanks to this form-stable consistency, the material will stay intact in the event of a rupture. Like traditional silicone implants, gummy bear implants come in a variety of shapes and sizes, including the “teardrop” shape, which mimics the natural breast shape. Gummy bear implants come with the following advantages:
- Most closely resembles the look and feel of natural breasts
- No rippling or folding
- Less risk of capsular contracture
- Less likely to leak or rupture than saline and traditional silicone implants
Gummy bear implants come with the following disadvantages:
- Implant placement requires a longer incision than both saline and traditional silicone
- More expensive than other implant options
Your Implants, Your Choice
The best way to choose breast implants that are appropriate for your aesthetic goals is by visiting Dr. Kessler for a consultation. He can review all of your options (silicone, gummy bear and saline) with you and give you his recommendations.
To learn about your breast implant options, schedule a one-on-one consultation. Please call our Newport Beach office at 949.644.6544.